Meet Hayley Blode. Founder of Hayley Lauren Design, and is a textile designer and artist. Her free-flowing designs are a creative expression and have been included on patterned reusable coffee cups, knitted sock designs and fabric designs for pocket tees.
Where did you get the idea for your business?
My business idea was definitely influenced by my many trips to craft markets such as The Big Design Market and Finders Keepers. The number of people at these markets showed me that there was a huge craft trend and support for local designers in Melbourne. This inspired me to try and sell my own artwork.
How did you get your business started?
In 2014, my friend and I decided to open up a pop-up shop for two weeks in Hawksburn Village. In these two weeks we had great success, not only from family and friends, but also from many walk-ins off the street. This really gave me the motivation I needed to apply for different craft markets.
What lessons have you learned so far on your business journey?
– There are a lot of hidden costs that go into a business that I didn’t really think about at the start (e.g. posters, business cards).
– Put yourself out there and talk to people. You never know who you are going to meet.
– When people can see the love that goes into each artwork they really appreciate it more.
What are your top three tips for starting a business?
- Test products on family and friends and at small markets.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Be confident in yourself and your product.
And just go for it!